Thursday, August 18, 2011

Street Photography - Guest Photographers

My last blog on street photography shared images from some of the classics in this genre. Today I'd like to present several of my favorite street photographers who are less well known but still classics. 


I've asked each to tell us what they enjoy about street photography and what type of camera they use. You'll get interesting insight from their views that will help you in your own photography no matter what you photograph.


My first guest is Kewal Rai, an amazing photographer whose images cover several genres including portraits, parties, food and beautiful women. A very well rounded guy. Below are images of his street photography. 




What Kewal has to say:
I do believe I'm a voyeur (aren't we all to some extent?), always used to love sitting and sipping some coffee and watching people from all walks of life passing by and the surrounding. Each in their own pace, sporting varied expressions. Carrying feelings which might be similiar to us or different. But in the end, each of us having a story, our own stories.


So when Im out in the streets, geared with a camera, I do end up clicking quite a bit (I have to control myself which I've become quite good at these days) and trying to capture a story that I see or an unseen story which I might be able to perceive when I sit down and view that frozen-in-time frame of that moment. 

To me street photography helps me connects me with the world with others, with my surroudings. Strangers we all might be but when I freeze a moment of another person's life, strangers we arent anymore, well not for a moment anyway when we connect through that frozen moment of time/frame. Thats what I like to think anyway.

I've had my Nikon D90 for nearly 2 yrs now and have just upgraded to D700. Got a Nikon 80-200 AFS f2.8, Sigma 24-70 EX DG f2.8 and Nikon 50 f1.5 lenses. Normally I use the telephoto as this helps me from not invading others personal space and capture those natural moments. I'm also shy and find it hard to approach people but have done it a few times and want to get better at it. Do use the other 2 lenses when I feel the surrounding plays a major part in the story.





View more of  Kewal's photos.



Syed Alfandi is a fellow photographer with a beautiful blog. I encourage you to visit and follow. His images of Malaysian scenery and people are stunning.

What Syed has to say:
My name is Syed Alfandi and I am a photographer in Malaysia. I don't dabble much with street photography. I am more into landscape and macro. But for this particular pic, this is more of an event photography. What I love is having a good background..as in the pic, old buildings. This gives me the freedom to choose a particular feel to a pic, such as black and white or sepia. I've chosen sepia toning as not to give too much contrast to the pic, so you can clearly see the buildings and the smiling faces...but that is just me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thank you to Mari for giving me this opportunity...


View more of  Syed Alfandi Phtography

17 Year old Ron Bezbarua is off to a great photographic start. His work is exciting, interesting, and comes with a fresh new perspective. 








Eva Manya has a special touch capturing interesting street scenes. She is at her most eloquent with her candids of people. Be sure and see her Faces Set on flickr


What Eva has to say:
I use a Sony DSC T700 - point and shoot camera. 

These photos were all taken through Auto settings and I do not know the technical side of it. 

"Photography is a hobby I have recently taken up. I have always caught myself observing people and my surroundings. So it was a natural inclination for me to experiment with street photography. I am just a beginner and definitely have 'miles to go' before I can be truly comfortable behind the lens! "










View more of Eva's images.


Christine Tandoc shows everyday life in Singapore freezing intimate bits of life into works of art. Her black and white photography is a special favorite of mine.

What Christine has to say:
Shooting landscapes had always been my passion as I travel a lot, however since I am based in Singapore, where there were less of scenic views of landscapes replaced by modernized, gargantuan edifices, I had resorted to street photography. It brought interest in me and desire to take pictures of spontaneity which depicts emotions and tells a story. It's very hard. However it's always worth the wait since perfect photographic moments in the streets only comes once in a blue moon. 
Thank you..
Regards, 
Christine


 Nikon d90, 105mm DC

Nikon d90, 135mm DC (Defocus Control)

Nikon d90, 70-200mm



View more of Christine's images 


Aaron Offord is offering a multi-post series for beginners interested in street photography at his blog, streetography, link below.  Be sure and follow his blog via email. His work captures the emotion of the street and his subject.


What Aaron has to say:
Street photography is such a wonderful genre of photography. It is pure, perfect, and untouched. It is a moment frozen in time that will never be repeated.I think that is what makes it so powerful, it is raw. 

There are no rules in street photography, it is art and therefore up to the artist to create. Some people will like their art, while others could find it displeasing and offensive. That is the beauty of art. It is supposed to spark an emotional connection or response within the viewer.

I like to keep my street photography discreet. I don't like to disturb or influence the subject, but rather document that moment of beauty. But above all else, street photography to me is my documentation of the raw untouched beauty I see all around me. 

ISO 64, f4, 1/620s 28mm



ISO 100, f4, 1/320s 28mm

ISO 100, f4, 1/540s 28mm


View more of Aaron's images at streetography.

A huge thank you to each of today's guest photographers. You each have your own style which makes viewing your stunning work all the more interesting. 

Please visit their sites and leave comments. Also please "Stumble" this post as added recognition for my guests. Stumble button=top right corner or under comments.

If you are interested in being a guest photographer let me know in a comment box below. You may also leave a photo in your comment box: click into comment box, click + sign in left corner, upload photo, click thumbnail photo to view full size. We'd all love to see your work!

Recommended reading:






43 comments:

Jessica Mokrzycki said...

Wow...what striking images each photographer has caught in each photo. I enjoyed looking at the photos and hearing the insights and tips they had to share. Great post :)

Syed Alfandi said...

Great images..now I realize I'm missing a lot not trying into this genre..I love Kewan Rai's the most, but everybody's so good.

Bec Owen said...

I love visiting your blog, Mari and soaking in the beautiful images that I know I will find.  This is a great idea to gather the work of all these talented people and showcase them...I really liked reading their commentaries as well...gives another dimension to their images.  Fabulous post! :)

Nelieta Mishchenko said...

Great photos! I just love street photography!

Jessica Brant said...

Mari,

I love love the shots you take. My favorite is the top one.

xoxo
Jessica

AJ said...

I'd really be a voyeur if images are this beautiful and compelling.

Jim McIntosh said...

You have really explained the essence behind great street photography, and without it being intrusive on the subjects rights and dignity. Not easy to do that.

Rinda1961 said...

another great group of street shots here - I love it! On my last trip, I really thought a lot about what you've written about street photography  candids vs. portraits. I took a candid that I really liked of a man on the ferry and a street portrait of a man dressed as a pirate. It was cool to understand the difference of these images as I was composing them. I'm attaching the candid here (if it works). OOps. It was too big!
Rinda

Swati Bhattacharya said...

What lovely, lovely pictures, each tell a story of their own. Loved everyone of them! Mari, you're doing a fantastic job!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I love having guest photographers. It's always a pleasure and learning experience. 

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I "met" Kewal recently online. I love his amazing work.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Thank you. Guest photographers add a whole new dimension to my posts. I love having them.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I love street photography also. It's not what I usually shoot but I love looking.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

My guest photographers did an excellent job! Each has a stunning approach to photography.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

My guest photographers are pretty amazing! It's fun to show the work of others. 

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Glad my posts were helpful on your trip. Hope you come back and try posting another photo...

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Swati - thank you. These are a bunch of very talented photographers! I'm honored to show their work.

Sailor said...

Very interesting collection of photographs from some of the contemporary street photographers.

I just made a quick stop and have to come back to visit all of them in personal.

Rimly Bezbaruah said...

What a lovely collection of pictures. Thank you for encouraging these photographers Mari. a great job. I am sharing this

sonalidesai7 said...

lovel pics ,nice collection.

Dangerous Linda said...

great post!  love all the different styles of the many photographers.  my favorite are the B&W by Aaron Offord and i will definitely check out his blog on "streetography"!  thanks!

David Smith said...

Love looking at all of these great street photography photos by these talented folks. My fave is the first shot by Kewal...love the two kids with their matching red shoes walking hand in hand unaware of the camera kens following every step they take. That's a great photo!! They are all so interesting :)

wan maznah cooking varieties said...

The first and
second image by kewal is what I term as superior works of photography- very
artsy, very catchy and had successfully produced  “a very deep emotional reaction“ from  viewers like me.


The image
captured by syed alfandi, had successfully depicted the oldies scene effects  and transformed it into “an amazing crowd in
the classic world”  by dipping it in
sepia tones.


Generally, i
like the shots from eva manya- tho she just used auto, she was able to capture
fantastic images- this  proved that one
has to have an artistic talent to be able to really achieve esteem excellence
in photography.


Mari, you
really did a great job. I would say you are doing a great social obligation to
other photographers by helping widen their horizons/ exposures in the blogging
world. Have a great weekend

Pratibha (Eva Manya) said...

Thank you Mari Sterling Wilbur
for your encouraging words and the exposure to the welcoming world of
photography. It was a pleasure and a learning experience to be a part of
your blog. This was a much needed springboard - i'm feeling all warm
and fuzzy :))

bod for tea said...

Gorgeous photos, there's something about black and white shots that is so alluring. Thanks for showcasing these fab photographers for us :D

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I'm looking forward to your return!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Thank you, Rimly. I is a pleasure to have your son as a guest photographer.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

It is a great bunch of photographer!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

He does excellent work!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I really love that particular photo of Kewal also. This is a terrific group of photographers.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Wan, thank you so much for your comment! I really enjoy showcasing other photographers.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Your images are lovely and compelling! I would love to have again as a guest photographer.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I very much enjoy inviting guests to show their work. I gives us a chance to gain new perspective in photography :D

lakwatsera de primera said...

awesome compilation Mari, I need this kind of motivation for my upcoming trip overseas where I plan to take more street scenes and portraits of people aside from the usual landscape photos that I usually take.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Have a wonderful trip! I can't wait to see your photos. Would you like to be a guest photographer on my blog - I'd love to have you.

Kewal Rai said...

Hi Mari, just dropped by to say thank you for the chance of being one of your guest photographers. Fantastic images out there by the other guest photographers and feels great that some of what I click means something to others.

And I would like to say, those who loves photography but hasnt dwelved into Street Photography, you should give it a try. It doesnt come easier since there are countless raw moments and stories waiting to be captured in every corner and crevices.

Cheers!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Kewal, I appreciate your sharing your amazing images with us. Your photos are some of my favorite. I hope to have you post again as a guest!

Eigroj Stain said...

OMG!!! Your shots are amazing.. I am soooooo jealous....

Eigroj Stain said...

I would as well love to share some of the shots i took,,, i am inspired by all the posts here and they're amzing photos.. These photos are taken from different locations..hope you will like it.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

These were all by guest photographers. I'm going to add you to my list for future guest photographers. :D

melissatandoc said...

I truly loved how each guest photographer presented their views and artworks here... They are all remarkable and I'm very happy that you have featured several artists I already met in your previous posts and several new ones too :)

I'm learning a lot by looking at the images they took and analyzing how each worked in an artistic fashion :) 

Talented people merged in one post in their own unique way :) Loved it ...

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

I love presenting guest photographers and will be doing it often :D

Anonymous said...

Hello, nice site. Posted by myself in bookmarks
[url=http://ordervicodin.org/]vicodin[/url]