Monday, April 18, 2011

MISSION POSSIBLE


I'm challenging you to a MISSION POSSIBLE








From 1966 to 1973 the TV show Mission Impossible was an action packed adventure we rarely missed. The series followed the exploits of the IMF, the Impossible Missions Force, a small team of secret agents used for covert missions against evil organizations.


The show always started with the lead character receiving a tape recording with his instructions for the next big adventure in crime solving. After listening to the tape, the tape would self destruct. Then the good guys were off to solve crime using elaborate tricks that seemed very mysterious. The "high tech" means they used back then to capture said bad guys is, in retrospect, pretty hilarious.



Why am I blogging about this?  Because I'm handing you a virtual MISSION POSSIBLE tape, NOT Mission IMPOSSIBLE Tape. It won't self destruct and there's no elaborate tricks, no mystery, and no high tech involved.


Here's your Mission Possible Challenge:

Set your camera to one of the automatic camera modes I've blogged about over the past couple of months. This challenge works for both Point&Shoot and dSLR cameras. See your particular camera's manual for help if necessary.

Over the course of the next 7 days take 70 photos using whichever mode you choose. Take your time during your photo shoots. Think about what you want to capture but don't worry about perfection. Relax and have fun. The goal is to get first hand experience using one automatic mode. Upload the photos to your computer and study them. What do you see? Did you capture images you'd hoped for? If not, spend another day on the assignment focused on your goal.

Do you have 5 or so photos you are really proud of? Don't be critical of your work. Do you see improvement over the course of the 7 days? 

Whichever mode you choose is the type of photography you are most interested in learning first. You may choose to stick with that setting for several months to learn all you can about it and that's fine.

Look at lots of photos that relate to what you are shooting as you take your 70 photos. You'll find you can easily take 70 photos in one day but stretch it out, take your time, think about each shot.

A few great locations to find photos are Google Images, Flickr and other photo storage sites, other photographers' blogs, and library books. 

The choices for auto modes I've discussed in my posts are:

Sports/Action mode includes kids playing or those hard to capture toddlers who hate to sit still; pets romping, horses running, even flowers on a breezy day. Depending on your camera lens you may have some blur, this setting is not infallible. Don't despair, just keep practicing and you'll get to know your camera and what works.

Use landscape for scenes that include elements like barns, fences, even grazing animals. 

Portrait mode is fun. If you don't have a tripod make sure your subject sits still or substitute portrait mode with action mode.

Close-Up/Macro is one of my favorite settings. I use it primarily for flowers, let's see what you can come up with.

I'd love to see some night shots of city streets or neon signs or continuous action shots. 

Don't limit yourself to my suggestions. This is your personal challenge.

Post your favorite photos from this Challenge to your online photo account. Paste your #1 favorite photo's url into the "TinyURL" link in the top right column of this blog to shorten the url.

Example:

will look like this on TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/5ujb269

Post the link from "TinyURL" into the comment section of this post so we can view your photos and share your success. 

Tell us about your experience taking this Challenge. It will be fun to read!

Any questions? Leave a comment in the comments section of this post. 



49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a mission!!! Will re-read all of your tips once again, Mari :) This should be fun!!!

Sebab said...

I will try my best :) But it wont be a ship for sure.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

whatstruckme - I'm looking forward to your seeing photography and which auto mode you choose!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Sailor - "won't be a ship" :D It seems to me you were interested in street photography - give that a try.

Anonymous said...

Mission accepted! What a great way to focus on one element rather than trying to perfect all modes at the same time and not getting any to an acceptable level. Thanks!

Jorie Pacli said...

Oh wow! Mari this is really interesting! I do wish to try it out but unfortunately not so soon though.... Needs a lot of patience and a never-give-up attitude I must say but it's sure exciting and fun...:) Thanks...

Debra said...

This morning, in a chat with friends who are wanting to learn more photography tips, I mentioned you and promised to send your link. Off to do just that right now!
~ Debra

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Thank you Debra! It's always great to get more followers.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Lucylastica2 - can't wait to see what you enter!.

sugeng prajitno said...

very interesting

sugeng prajitno said...

very interesting

Alida Sharp said...

I think I can do it... I will give it a go anyhow!!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Hit me with you best shot!

Unknown said...

now following your blog :)
Nice! ^^

JIM said...

Great idea Mari good luck with it. It will be great learning tool imagine. Looking forward to seeing the images

http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/04/tutorial-how-i-photograph-flying-birds.html

Melissa Tandoc said...

up to the challenge :)...hope so... but til i use my sister's camera in may :P...

those are wonderful categories mari... and i just saw macrophotos by alfandi...that's really delicate... oh the blur on actions are terrible :P...hahaha... i'd like to have those swift hands, eyes and instincts to anticipate further movements of the subject... my niece :P...

night photos...are wonderful but i still have to learn the tips you posted...:P...

i shared your link to my other photographer friends too ;)...THANK YOU...

Michelle Reeves - Bod for tea said...

Just a thought.... you could use a photo linky over at linkytools.com so that people could add their photo links to it and display their photo too...

xoxoxo said...

Hi Mari--I am lucky follower number 100!
I cannot take your challenge quite yet--but 70 photos a day is simple :)

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Bod for Tea - will check out linkytools - thank you for the suggestion. :D

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Alfandi - I love your photos! Shows what you can do with a compact camera.

Take a look at Alfandi's photos folks:

http://tinyurl.com/42nhmoe

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

xoxoxo - will look forward to seeing your photos next time. You could enter some of your exisitng Castle Under Construction photos if you'd like.

xoxoxo said...

Ok ok, here is my favorite
http://tinyurl.com/3nqw688

Having a new house and garden in the last year has provided many chances to improve my skills. Flowers are PERFECT subjects.
I took 8000 photos last year and only have 3 really great ones.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

We have another entry: check out xoxoxo's entry -

http://tinyurl.com/3nqw688

It's beautiful!

Aaron said...

Hey Mari,
Here is my submission. Shot aperture priority with ISO 1600.

Thanks for getting my butt out with those night creatures!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61945440@N05/5642212984/in/photostream

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

And, drum roll please, we have another entry:
http://tinyurl.com/3mrdwds

Be sure and check out Aaron's stunning night shot. One of his first attempts! Great job Aaron! You make it look easy.

Anonymous said...

Hope I've made this tinyurl correctly! I've gone all macro :-)

http://tinyurl.com/3ckoxjs

cooking-varieties said...

hi mari. this is a real good exercise to achieve "Mission Possible" and judging from the comments you received-this is a fantastic idea.
I know you have been very busy, busy and that we already esrablished a backlink, but i thought,judging from the comments i received on my new post, i invir you to my accept my request to do a special- turban/ winter squash “GUEST POST” for me ok.. fnot necessary a recipe. it can be in any manner, but must be on pumpkin.thanks and have a nice day

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

And another entry:

http://tinyurl.com/3ckoxjs from Lucylastica2

it's a beautiful close-up of a flower and bee - these are hard to capture!

Be sure and take a look!

Michelle Reeves - Bod for tea said...

Opps! Previous link was wrong Mari - sorry! Can you use this one? And it was actually a portrait setting I think... who knows?!
http://tinyurl.com/3emu6p6
Thanks!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Mummy@Bod for Tea:
Your photo is wonderful! It hints of an exotic location and adventure. I love the way the subject is looking directly at you and smiling into your camera - perfect!!
http://tinyurl.com/3emu6p6

Kate E. said...

Love this contest (you are going to do more right??)

here is my entry: Finally Spring
http://tinyurl.com/4y648jw

I decided to use the macro setting, something I have abrely used at all in the past. It was fun experimenting with it, and at one point you would have found me in a dress(on a lunch break from a conferences), up to my ankles in mud and trying to get underneath the flowers! So much fun!

If you look at the whole set you can see a good selection of the images I took this week. Some with Macro and a bunch with the Landscapre setting.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Kate - your series of images are captivating!! I love yellow, flowers and macro. Everyone check out Kate's images:

http://tinyurl.com/4y648jw

Anonymous said...

Here i am finally with a few pictures to share.I focused on the Macro setting (I still have a long way to go ...).I've been superbly busy lately and managed to come up with this.
Thanks Mari - it was an exciting project.As you can see , some pictures are a little too blurry(tripod is a must!!!) & not one of them were edited.

http://tinyurl.com/64bpkx8

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

whatstruckme: I love your series of macro shots! Just lovely. I left a comment and a favorite on your Flickr site.

You can see her photo series here:
http://tinyurl.com/64bpkx8

fantasy in practicality said...

your macro shots are great, though i do not know much about photography, your blog can be a proper source. now i am following you.

Sebab said...

I thought I would give you the link here. I know I am late but I promised you. This is my wife's blog but I took these pictures few weeks back
http://tinyurl.com/6xs2g6c

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Melissa Tandoc has added a new photo to "Mission Possible" Take a look at her work - leave comments! She did an outstanding job.

http://tinyurl.com/3esavm2

Anonymous said...

This sounds fun. If I had a camera other than a cell phone one I would definitely try it. Maybe next year I will get a camera.

Melissa Tandoc said...

Oh Mari...I was looking at how some professional photographers handled the challenge and it's such a humbling experience.

Thank you for the challenge. I felt more alive by learning new things... and I'm eager to learn and allow you to criticize my works...

THANK YOU for such efforts and creativity ;)

Jessica Brant said...

Mari,

I would love love to join in but I have way to much on my plate taking my father-in-law back ad forth to radiation therapy...
Maybe next time..
xoxox
Jess

Kriti said...

Not so impossible Mari - will see if I can give this a shot. Thank you for the encouragement : )

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Kriti - I look forward to a photo from your new home! India fascinates me.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Kriti - I look forward to a photo from your new home! India fascinates me.

Mummy@Bod for tea said...

Opps! Previous link was wrong Mari - sorry! Can you use this one? And it was actually a portrait setting I think... who knows?!
http://tinyurl.com/3emu6p6
Thanks!

Kriti said...

Not so impossible Mari - will see if I can give this a shot. Thank you for the encouragement : )

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

whatstruckme: I love your series of macro shots! Just lovely. I left a comment and a favorite on your Flickr site.

You can see her photo series here:
http://tinyurl.com/64bpkx8

Alfandi said...

These are my photos..http://tinyurl.com/42nhmoe...all on compact, just having fun with the camera...

Alida said...

I think I can do it... I will give it a go anyhow!!

Lucylastica2 said...

Mission accepted! What a great way to focus on one element rather than trying to perfect all modes at the same time and not getting any to an acceptable level. Thanks!